Degree Programs Offered:
|Science & Letters Chemistry||Chemical Engineering Concentration|
|Science & Letters with Secondary Ed Minor||Biomolecular Engineering Concentration|
|Specialized Chemistry (ACS Certified)|
Why Illinois & SCS?
Who are our students?
Fall 2017 Enrollment:
- 688 Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Majors
- 573 Chemistry Majors
- 299 Science and Letters Majors
- 232 Specialized Chemistry Majors
- 46 Computer Science+CHEM Majors
- 3 Science and Letters Majors with a Secondary Education Minor
History and Ranking
The School of Chemical Science has had 11 Nobel Peace Prize winners who were either former students or faculty at Illinois. Chemistry & Chemical Engineering are annually among the top-ranked in the nation in their respective disciplines.
Research and Internships
Students have a chance to participate in ground-breaking research under world-renowned professors in their major and across the other STEM fields on campus.
- 30% Students who graduate were involved in undergraduate research
- 65% of SCS Undergraduates completed an internship or related off-campus work experience
- Many students are also involved with research off campus through internships, co-ops and study abroad.
SCS Students are able to study abroad around the world including England, Ireland, Sweden, Turkey, China, Korea, Australia, and more.
Post-Graduation Career and Graduate Level Statistics
Class of 2017 Reported Post-Graduation Statistics
- 15% go to Graduate School
- 76% go to Industry Jobs
- 4% to Government Jobs
- 31% go to Science Graduate School
- 22% go to Pre-Health Graduate School
- 8% go to Other Graduate School (Law, Engineering, MBA, etc.)
- 26% go to Industry/Government Jobs
- 5% go to Education Jobs
New Student Resources:
- 32,000+ Undergraduate students, and 1,300+ CHEM and ChBE Majors!
- Register for an Admitted Student Day or a Campus Visit
- Find events near you
- Accept your admission to Illinois!
- Sign-up for your Summer Advising Appointment (On-Campus and Virtual available)
- Hear more about campus life, academics, opportunities, etc.- from current students!
- Get the Inside Scoop from our Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Advising Ambassadors blog about their experiences and share insights into facilitating academic, personal and career success.